Friday, January 25, 2013

How'd I Do?

So, at the end of last year I posted some books I wanted to read this year. Here is a snapshot at how I did: (Chapter Books only . . . picture books would be to too hard to keep an accurate record.)

My favorite reads in 2013:

 I listened to this, then recommended it to my children. They listened, and then listened again. Then we bought the book, and read it again. Aerie had a book club party, and we got to meet the author at a CLAU (Children's Literature Association of Utah) event.
The Betsy-Tacy stories are absolutely delightful. I'm just sad that I didn't read these with my older daughters when they were young. The series starts when Betsy and Tacy meet and become friends at age five. The semi-autographical series continues until Betsy grows up and becomes a writer. Betsy, Tacy and their friend Tib have become true friends for Lala. These are stories that I will read with my grandchildren someday, too. 
I really like Brandon Sanderson. I listened to this book (which is quite long, so it took in the neighborhood of 40 hours.) I liked the storytelling, I liked the characters, I liked the values expressed, I liked the discussions on leadership. But, I especially liked talking to The Boy about the characters. It took me several months to complete the listening and sometimes I would forget parts of the story. The Boy (also a big Brandon Sanderson fan) has listened to this book multiple times and could answer any of my questions . . . and pleas for additional information and spoilers later on in the book. Then when I finished the book, we talked often about the different characters and story lines.  (Which would make any book seem delightful!)


The Utah County Homeschool Book Club (TJED)
The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease (5/5 stars) 
Plutarch's Lives (a selection of lives still TBD) (3/5: This takes some pretty serious brain power!) 
The Law by Bastiat and The Proper Role of Government by Ezra Taft Benson 
Do Hard Things (3/5)
The Fourth Turning (4/5 . . . this is my 3rd reading. It's starting stick in my mind more.)
Legendary Learners (4/5)
The Element (3.5/5)
Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire (3.5/5)
Deconstructing Penguins (5/5)
LOLIPOP by Amy Edwards (2.5/5)

Happy Valley Homeschooler Mom's Night Out (another fantastic group!)
The Walk by Richard Paul Evans (3/5)
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (4/5)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (4/5)
Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth (4/5)
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (4/5)
The Robe by Lloyd Douglas, (my pick!) (2.5/5)
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (3/5)
The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (3/5)

Neighborhood Book Group: 
Unbroken
A Northern Light (My pick!) (4/5)
Divergent (3.5/5)
These Is My Words by Nancy Turner (4/5)
(There are lots more . . . I can't remember what we read, though, since I didn't write it down!)

From the list of books I wanted to read this is what I actually read: 
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (4/5)
Emma by Jane Austen (3.5/5)
Mort by Terry Pratchett (3/5)
Wyrd Systers by Terry Pratchett (4/5)
I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (3.5/5)
Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett (3.5/5)  
Other Books I read this year (That I can remember!)
Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue Kerstin Geir (3/5)
The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal (3/5)
Remarkable by Lizzie Foley (3/5)
The Giver by Lois Lowry (4/5)
Write Like This Kelly Gallagher (5/5)
The Selection by Kiera Cass (4/5)
Night by Elie Wiesel (4/5)
Deeper Reading by Kelly Gallagher (5/5)
Write Beside Them by Penny Kittle (4/5)
In the Middle by Nancy Atwell (4/5)
Strategies That Work by Harvey and Goudvis (3/5)
Legion by Brandon Sanderson (3.5/5 . . . fun short story)
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (4/5)
Mistress Wilding by Raphael Sabatini (I love him! 3.5/5)
Leadership Education by Oliver DeMille (3.5/5)
The Doctrine and Covenants (5/5!)
The Cleansing of America (1.5/5)
Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge (4/5)
Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter (4/5)

Wow! That's a ton of books . . .and I'm pretty sure there are more, but I'm not remembering all them. I'll have to get better at keeping a thorough list. I really like the idea of making a list of books "to read" in 2013. I have a bookshelf  of books I want to get around to reading, but I think a written list (I love to check off boxes!) will better inspire me read through that list. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails