Friday, December 16, 2011

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this on my phone from Audible. FUN! It was creepy, but nothing that my children shouldn't overhear as I listened over my phone while folding laundry. There was some allusion to sex, and a very brief mention of a homosexual attraction, but I had headphones at that time. (I think my children would have missed it anyway if they had overheard.) Also an engaged couple shares an apartment . . .I think that is all the "bad" stuff to worry about children hearing. But there is intense and scary-ish stuff throughout.)

It was a fun thing to be forced to listen to the conclusion (and not peek at the end!).  I thought I had it figured out, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. . . and satisfied. The characters were consistent and well developed as well as interesting to "get to know". The story lines were complex and intertwined in fascinating ways. The end was a bit "Dickensian" for my taste, but I have to admit I liked having all the loose ends tied up at the story's conclusion. (It's so refreshing to read a book that actually ends, without alluding to a sequel.)


I oftentimes seem to need a "purpose" to my reading. (I'm the queen of multi tasking: Is is educational? Will it help me become a better person? a more literate person? Is this something I want my children to read and I'm reading it to screen it first?  . . . ) This was simply fun (escape) reading/listening, chosen because I enjoyed the Forgotten Garden when my neighborhood book club read it earlier this year, and wanted to try some more "adult" fiction. The goodreads and amazon reviews indicated I could trust this author to deliver another fascinating story.  I enjoyed it and my kitchen enjoyed the extra bit of cleaning as I sought a productive excuse to keep listening.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails