Sunday, December 18, 2011

Books to Read in 2012 (Fingers crossed)

I have three book clubs to keep up with! Whew. Sometimes it is hard to keep up, but always worth it. Sometimes I just get a "quick read" of the book. This is usually good enough for book club discussion, but sometimes I read something that I want to go back and read again.

So far for 2012, two book clubs have put out some plans for the coming year: 

The Utah County Homeschool Book Club (TJED)
January: The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
February: Plutarch's Lives (a selection of lives still TBD)
March: The Law by Bastiat and The Proper Role of Government by Ezra Taft Benson
April: The Cleansing of America by Cleon Skousen (but I have read it and gave it one star, so I'm hoping for a change! But if we don't, I'll be happy to be there anyway, this is an awesome group! )

Happy Valley Homeschooler Mom's Night Out (another fantastic group!)
Jan 5- The Walk by Richard Paul Evans
Feb 9- David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Mar 8- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Apr 12- Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth
May 10- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Jun 14- TBA
Jul 12- TBA
Aug 9- The Robe by Lloyd Douglas, (my pick!)
Sep 13- Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt
Oct 11- The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery

Neighborhood Book Group: 
We take turns choosing each month, so I'm not sure what is coming for 2012! 


The books floating around in my mind to read in 2012:
Bleak House by Charles Dickens (this is on hold until I get through David Copperfield, though!) 
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Emma by Jane Austen
Red Scarf Girl by Ji Li Jiang
Several books by Terry Prachett
(Lords and Ladies, Witches Abroad, Mort, Maskerade, I Shall Wear Midnight, and Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents) 
The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer
Archer's Goons by Diana Wynne Jones
Hero and the Crown and the Blue Sword (re-read) by Robin McKinley 


(We'll see how this list goes . . .it's pretty fluid!) 

2 comments:

  1. You don't actually know me--I saw you speak at a TJEd conference last spring when you shared this blog address. ;) My Dad is a huge Terry Pratchett fan and has introduced us to the Tiffany Aching series (of which "I Shall Wear Midnight" is the 4th book). We listened to the first three as audiobooks on various road trips this last fall and absolutely loved them. But we didn't get far into Midnight--it starts out kind of dark--probably okay for an adult but we had a van full of kids listening in. I just mention it to you because I would HIGHLY recommend that you first meet Tiffany Aching where the story starts--the first in the series is "The Wee Free Men," followed by "Hat Full of Sky" and "Wintersmith." The series is wonderful and my kids are always quoting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm just learning to figure out the comment section on my blog. (Baby steps, right?) So this is a quite a delayed response. Plus, I haven't had many comments . . . so I'm not in the habit of looking for them.

    Good to know your thoughts on I Shall Wear Midnight, Libby. I bought the hardcover the first week it came out in 2010, because I love the Tiffany Aching series, but then heard that it wasn't as good as the others, and have let it continually slip to the bottom of the "to read" pile. I'm hoping if I put it on a public list of books I'm planning to read, I will make a point to get to it this year. I have listened and read the other books in the series, and listening is a lot more fun. I was thinking of splurging on the audio for an upcoming family trip because the series has been such a hit in our family, but I will look for something else.

    We had a great family talk one day about the similarities to becoming a leader and Tiffany's journey to becoming a witch. The evolved into a presentation my DH even gave at the TJED Forum in 2011 dressed as a Nac Mac Feagle. (along with the book Certain Trumpets: The Nature of Leadership).

    I have to be in the right mood for Terry Pratchett, but when I am, I laugh and laugh and am amazed at his cleverness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails