Sunday, February 24, 2013

Six Great Books for a Six Year Old

"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all."
-Henry David Thoreau

I have seen a trend in my girls . . . they go through waves of enjoying classics and then wanting to read "fluff." (In our house we often call this roast beef versus hot dog books) I see the importance of reading really great literature with children, but I also recognize the place for fluff in their reading patterns. I think it's important for parents to strive to read mostly roast beef books aloud with their children, with a sprinkling of hot dog books to keep things light and fun. (And appealing!) My hope (and theory) is that if they are exposed to good literature (especially in a cozy, loving family setting), the hot dog books will eventually be less fulfilling and less enticing, and they will crave roast beef.

Here are six great books to read with your daughters when they are six years old:





1. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
2. The Betsy-Tacy Series by Maude Hart Lovelace
3. The Moffats (and others in the series) by Eleanor Estes (also appeals to boys)
4. The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes
5. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series  by Betty MacDonald (also appeals to boys)
6. Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones

Beyond the Six:

Nancy and Plum by Betty Macdonald

Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers (this one would work for boys as well)
The Melendy Family series (This one appeals to boys . . . a great family read aloud!) 





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list! I've made a goal read them all with my daughter during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know any good 6-year-old books about boys? I read my son Trumpet of the Swan, and while it may have been a little advanced for him language-wise, he loved it, and I love that the main character is a boy. I've been surprised by how hard it is to find age-appropriate books about boys that are good, solid literature, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails