Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Bit of Background on The Book Diva



"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
Louisa May Alcott

I hope this blog, Book Diva Books, will help foster a love of reading among those that discover it. 

I have worked hard to create a culture of reading within my family.  Several years ago, the Book Fairy (complete with English Accent, sparkling tiara and pink gossamer wings) started visiting our home. Later, she wanted a new look, and her friend, the Book Diva (who wears elbow length gloves, a lot of bling jewelry, carries a black feather boa and talks like Zsa Zsa Gabor) began visiting. Now, the Book Diva often sends the Bookaneer (who sports a fabulous red and black tutu and a custom made pirate hat) in her place.  


Fairly regularly, (monthly or more) the  Book Diva, Book-a-neer or Book Fairy (depending on my mood) comes sweeping, sauntering or flitting down from Book Diva Land (my closet). My arms piled high with brightly colored boxes, (filled with a personally selected book for each child), I wait for the cheers to subside. As the Book Diva I ask each child in turn (in my best Zsa Zsa Gabor voice), “Have you been a good reader ’zis veek, Daa-hling?” After they describe the books they have been reading recently, I give a brief book talk, describing why I selected the book for them. Then they open the gift box, usually cheering with excitement. I admit, I feel like a rock star when fifteen minutes later, mild-mannered Mom returns to see all five children curled up on our worn, comfy couch immersed in their Book Diva books! 

The Book Diva gets books from bookstores, online bookstores, second hand stores, the library, and online  used book stores. My closet is actually called “Book Diva Land.” It does not matter where the book came from, it does not matter if it is new or a library book. The book talk creates excitement, as does the actual unwrapping of the gift. 



Shauna and her alter egos: The Book Fairy, The Book Diva, and The 'Book-aneer,' work hard to create ravenous readers out of children in and near their home in American Fork, Utah. Her husband Brent claims that she suffers from OTTD (Over The Top Disorder), a condition that prevents her from doing things "the boring way." A mother of five home schooled bookworms, Shauna earned a Bachelor of Science in Marketing and Economics from Eastern New Mexico University, a Juris Doctorate from the J. Reuben Clark Jr. School of Law, and a Master of Public Administration from the Brigham Young University Marriot School of Management. A nationally published author, she currently serves on the American Fork Library Board of Trustees.

1 comment:

  1. Is there a post where you intro your kids? I love their nicknames but am curious of their ages/phases. TIA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails